Skip to content

Manufactured/Mobile Homes and CSA/Electrical Safety Stickers

Currently for sale –

In British Columbia, you cannot legally sell a manufactured/mobile home (sometimes known as a trailer) without either a CSA (Canadian Standards Association) or BC Electrical Safety Authority (BCESA) certification. When a trailer is manufactured in Canada, its manufacturer applies a decal, usually on the exterior near the front door, with its CSA number, and sometimes inside the home in the kitchen or electrical panel. Read on to find out what to watch out for if you’re buying or selling a manufactured home. 

Often, owners will make upgrades or additions to their manufactured homes. It is quite common for owners to re-clad the unit in a different type of siding, for example, or to build a front porch/mudroom over the front door. When this is done, they often inadvertently cover up or destroy the CSA label which can cause serious problems when it comes time to sell.

I recently read a case where a buyer renovated the kitchen of the manufactured home she had bought. When she went to sell it, the REALTOR® advised her that he couldn’t list the property because it did not have a CSA sticker. This lady had unfortunately removed the kitchen cabinets including the CSA sticker.

If you renovate the kitchen, save this label!

Your only option if you do not have a CSA label or sticker on your unit is to have an electrical contractor visit and do a thorough electrical safety survey, which can cost several thousand dollars. A full recertification should probably be done if any electrical work has been done on the unit without a permit or by a non-professional.