Skip to content

Posts from the ‘Community’ Category

Population of Sooke Now 11,435 – Growth of 18% Since 2006

The data from the 2011 Canadian Census was released this week, and, not surprisingly, the greater Victoria region continues to grow. Also not surprisingly, growth tended to centre on areas with available land for new houses to be built. Read more

The Whiffin Spit Christmas Tree – A West Coast Christmas Tradition

The Whiffin Spit Christmas Tree

When I first came to Sooke to look at the house I eventually bought, I took a walk out Whiffin Spit. I knew nothing about the community that would become my home and my chosen place to start a family. I didn’t even know what Whiffin Spit was, I was just driving around exploring and found this cool seaside park with a light at the end of the path. It was just after Christmas, and as I meandered along the path, in addition to the many friendly people I saw and lots of dogs, there it was, this tree. Read more

Last-Minute Christmas Gift Ideas in Sooke

T’was the week before Christmas, and you’ve done it again – no presents, no gifts; shopping left ’til the end!

It’s the same old story every year. You tell yourself: “Next year, I’m starting my Christmas shopping in September!” and yet here we are, with gifts still to buy, packed parking lots in Victoria, and eggnog to drink in the fridge (which is much more fun). So why not finish up (or start and finish) your Christmas shopping here in Sooke? Here are a few suggestions: Read more

Sooke’s Evergreen Centre Back Under Island Ownership

Evergreen Centre

As many of you know, it was reported last week that Evergreen Centre (the Western Foods mall) was sold to Partners REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust). The sale completes this month. I had the opportunity to interview Adam Gant, CEO of League Assets Corp, a Victoria-based company which manages the REIT. We talked about League and what their plans are for Evergreen Centre and their track record with similar properties on and off the Island. Read more

Three New TV Spots Encourage People To Discover Sooke

If there’s one guy who loves the Sooke region as much as I do, it’s my pal Jason at Discover Sooke. Jason was the first friend I made when I moved to the Island 6 years ago. He and Mrs. Discover Sooke eventually decided to move out here from Langford and haven’t looked back. Read more

Volunteers Needed for Sooke Subaru Triathlon 2011

The Sooke Subaru Triathlon On Whiffen Spit

For the past five years, approximately 600 elite and amateur athletes have come to Sooke to compete in the Subaru Western Triathlon Series. Set against our lush coastal rainforest location and rugged, varied terrain, the triathlon has been a popular event and it’s about to get more popular.

Read more

Prestige Oceanfront Hotel and Conference Centre Sooke Opens Today

The long wait is over!

Sooke has its first full-size commercial hotel, and it’s a beauty! Nestled on the shores of the Sooke Harbour, The Prestige is quite a sight – and offers visitors and guests spectacular views and service, tasty dining options, and a full-service spa.

I had the pleasure of joining Mr. and Mrs. (and baby) DiscoverSooke for dinner at The Mix by Ric’s – one of the dining options at the hotel – for dinner last night. The spectacular view over the harbour is visible from almost every seat in the restaurant and bar. Sooke has needed something like The Mix for a long time – an upscale casual spot right on the water.

Read more

[Pics] Prestige Hotel And Convention Centre Sooke Nears Completion

Prestige Sooke Hotel Entrance

The pillars look even larger than from the road

I was invited to take a hard hat tour of the brand new Prestige Oceanfront Resort and Convention Centre on the waterfront in Sooke. Their first Vancouver Island property, Prestige has pulled out all the stops and has created something incredible on our shores.

Everything is going to be top-notch and elegant. The hotel is much closer to the harbour than I had anticipated – the views are simply stunning and most rooms will enjoy a great view of the harbour, basin, East Sooke, Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Olympic Mountains.

Read more

Prestige Hotel Sooke Nears Completion; Hiring For Jobs This Week!

It’s not hard to see when you drive by the spectacular waterfront site that this landmark property is nearing completion. I was contacted yesterday by Prestige to let me know that they will be hiring for positions at the new hotel and conference centre, with a hiring fair of sorts occurring this Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday – January 12, 13, and 14, 2011.

They will be accepting resumés and applications for all positions in person at the Sooke Harbour Marina Resort, 6971 West Coast Road (map| streetview), right next door to the hotel site from 10-2 on Wednesday, and 1-5 on Thursday and Friday.

Interested? They are hiring for the following:

Guest Service Agents:

Prestige Hotels & Resorts is currently seeking Guest Services Agents to join our team at our new resort, The Prestige Oceanfront Resort & Convention Centre Sooke. This position offers exceptional growth opportunities within the Prestige Hotels & Resorts chain.

As a candidate for this position, you must have excellent communication and telephone skills, a strong attention to detail, the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and the ability to relate to the public in a friendly and professional manner.

Catering and Convention Coordinator:

Prestige Hotels & Resorts is currently seeking an experienced Catering & Convention Coordinator to join our team at our new resort, The Prestige Oceanfront Resort & Convention Centre Sooke. This position offers exceptional growth opportunities within the Prestige Hotels & Resorts chain.

As a candidate for this position, you must have excellent communication and telephone skills, a strong attention to detail, the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and the ability to relate to the public in a friendly and professional manner.

Room Attendants:

Prestige Hotels & Resorts is currently seeking Room Attendants to join our team at our new resort, The Prestige Oceanfront Resort & Convention Centre Sooke.

As a candidate for this position, you must ensure hotel quality and guest satisfaction at all times, work as a team player, and be physically fit in order to fulfill this entry level position.

All interested candidates should check out the Prestige website for more information about the potential employer and download an application form to include with their resumé.

Tim Ayres – Sooke Real Estate Professional

Van der Valk Photography: Capturing Lifestyles

Lifestyle Photography by Jason van der Valk

Capturing Lives

Local Sooke photographer Jason van der Valk has broadened his focus and is now accepting clients for intimate lifestyle shoots, in the comfort of your home, or a favourite outdoor location. Many of you may be familiar with Jason’s landscape and scenic work, but it is only recently that he has used his talent to capture beautiful, natural, intimate moments between families in a natural light setting.

Jason has had an eventful year, to say the least, including the birth of his first child. It is from these events that has emerged in him a new appreciation for the special moments a family shares, and how important it is to capture these in a meaningful, natural way.

Strawberry Fields 3

Unique Approach

You won’t be in a brightly lit studio or be forced to wear matching plaid for a photo destined for Awkward Family Photos. Instead, Jason prefers to shoot using mostly or all natural light, and in a location you choose – your home, or perhaps a special outdoor location that is meaningful to you. He encourages clients to be natural and does not force poses or clichéd smiles. The results are stunning and beautiful. Jason has put together packages for all occasions and offers real value. Each photo is much more than a photo – it’s a treasured piece of artwork that will be enjoyed for generations. Make sure you check out his video packages also.

Irwin Family Photoshoot

Contest!

Jason is giving away two lifestyle photo shoots, and you can win! Just see the contest page on his site to find out how to enter. He is also offering 15% off photo shoots for a limited time.

Playing in bed.

Tim Ayres – Sooke Real Estate Professional