Population of Sooke Now 11,435 – Growth of 18% Since 2006

The data from the 2011 Canadian Census was released this week, and, not surprisingly, the greater Victoria region continues to grow. Also not surprisingly, growth tended to centre on areas with available land for new houses to be built.

The Whiffin Spit Christmas Tree – A West Coast Christmas Tradition

When I first came to Sooke to look at the house I eventually bought, I took a walk out Whiffin Spit. I knew nothing about the community that would become my home and my chosen place to start a family. I didn’t even know what Whiffin Spit was, I was just driving around exploring andContinue reading “The Whiffin Spit Christmas Tree – A West Coast Christmas Tradition”

Last-Minute Christmas Gift Ideas in Sooke

T’was the week before Christmas, and you’ve done it again – no presents, no gifts; shopping left ’til the end! It’s the same old story every year. You tell yourself: “Next year, I’m starting my Christmas shopping in September!” and yet here we are, with gifts still to buy, packed parking lots in Victoria, andContinue reading “Last-Minute Christmas Gift Ideas in Sooke”

Sooke’s Evergreen Centre Back Under Island Ownership

As many of you know, it was reported last week that Evergreen Centre (the Western Foods mall) was sold to Partners REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust). The sale completes this month. I had the opportunity to interview Adam Gant, CEO of League Assets Corp, a Victoria-based company which manages the REIT. We talked about LeagueContinue reading “Sooke’s Evergreen Centre Back Under Island Ownership”

Three New TV Spots Encourage People To Discover Sooke

If there’s one guy who loves the Sooke region as much as I do, it’s my pal Jason at Discover Sooke. Jason was the first friend I made when I moved to the Island 6 years ago. He and Mrs. Discover Sooke eventually decided to move out here from Langford and haven’t looked back.

Volunteers Needed for Sooke Subaru Triathlon 2011

For the past five years, approximately 600 elite and amateur athletes have come to Sooke to compete in the Subaru Western Triathlon Series. Set against our lush coastal rainforest location and rugged, varied terrain, the triathlon has been a popular event and it’s about to get more popular.

Prestige Oceanfront Hotel and Conference Centre Sooke Opens Today

The long wait is over! Sooke has its first full-size commercial hotel, and it’s a beauty! Nestled on the shores of the Sooke Harbour, The Prestige is quite a sight – and offers visitors and guests spectacular views and service, tasty dining options, and a full-service spa. I had the pleasure of joining Mr.Continue reading “Prestige Oceanfront Hotel and Conference Centre Sooke Opens Today”

[Pics] Prestige Hotel And Convention Centre Sooke Nears Completion

I was invited to take a hard hat tour of the brand new Prestige Oceanfront Resort and Convention Centre on the waterfront in Sooke. Their first Vancouver Island property, Prestige has pulled out all the stops and has created something incredible on our shores. Everything is going to be top-notch and elegant. The hotelContinue reading “[Pics] Prestige Hotel And Convention Centre Sooke Nears Completion”

Prestige Hotel Sooke Nears Completion; Hiring For Jobs This Week!

It’s not hard to see when you drive by the spectacular waterfront site that this landmark property is nearing completion. I was contacted yesterday by Prestige to let me know that they will be hiring for positions at the new hotel and conference centre, with a hiring fair of sorts occurring this Wednesday,Continue reading “Prestige Hotel Sooke Nears Completion; Hiring For Jobs This Week!”

Van der Valk Photography: Capturing Lifestyles

Capturing Lives Local Sooke photographer Jason van der Valk has broadened his focus and is now accepting clients for intimate lifestyle shoots, in the comfort of your home, or a favourite outdoor location. Many of you may be familiar with Jason’s landscape and scenic work, but it is only recently that he has used hisContinue reading “Van der Valk Photography: Capturing Lifestyles”